Saturday, January 2, 2016

New year

I had a quiet New Year's eve just cooking in and watching movies in bed with the only person I really want to end and start the year with. The night was made even better because the baked rice turned out surprisingly good and that both the films Wilson picked, Time Traveller's Wife and Our Times, were really great with the latter leaving me with an immense sense of nostalgia.

Being with Wilson for the past eight years (going nine!) has been exceptional even though we fight all the time and I wouldn't have wanted my love life to turn out any other way. However when I see films like this, I get reminded of my first proper relationship and wondered why is it that first loves are always so hard to forget?

I guess at the age of 13, we'd only started to comprehend the notion of loving someone who's not a family member and the feeling of unfamiliarity of falling in love for the first time stuck. It was also our first time experiencing intimacy- first time holding hands, first cuddle, first kiss. And also our first time experiencing a lovers' spat, a heartbreak.

At age 13, we didn't fall in love because someone checked out on a list for a perfect partner we created in our heads. We simply... fell in love. We did not know what to expect, we just gave it our all.

Of course, when you loved with all you have, you ended up hurting a hell lot when it ended. From then on, with every failed relationship, you decided to give a little less. At least until the person proved worth fighting for.

Lesser effort meant that they were easier to forget and that was probably what happened to all other relationships I had in between Wilson and my first.

So in 2016, I hope to experience everything like it is my first time.

Be more generous, and treat all relationships (be it family, boyfriend or friends) with a fresh new mindset. To not let past actions determine my expectations towards anyone. Myself included.

I hope to give it my all in all relationships- be more filial, be more understanding and be a better friend.

May the new year brings about new joy, hope and inspiration for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment